Monday, September 12, 2016

New Permanent Exhibit Installed!

I am beyond thrilled to announce that after a year in the making, the DSU Archives has installed a permanent, outdoor exhibit on the university's Dover campus.

The exhibit was designed as a walking tour of the campus in order to allow campus visitors to catch a glimpse into the university's 125 years of service. Four trail-side signs are now located outside of Loockerman Hall, the DuPont School (now the health center), the Science Center, and the William. C. Jason Library.  The signs include narrative texts and historic photographs from the collections of the university archives in order to inform visitors. 

I invite you stroll our campus and contemplate the unique history of this university.  Consider our buildings not for their function, but as artifacts and eyewitnesses to the past.  These brick and mortar structures have beheld the evolution of modern society and the arrival of the digital age – from Revolutionary America to the advent of the internet. Please pay us a visit soon!


I have several people to thank: First, this project would not have been possible without the assistance of Derek Street who gave his time freely to design these beautiful signs. At the time of the drafting period last spring, Derek was a graphics design sophomore who had just transferred to Delaware State University.  He was extremely patient throughout the process and was willing to sit with me hours at a time in order to make sure that we put forth our best work. I think the end result proves that he knows his stuff! Thank you, Derek! I'm serious. I couldn't have done it without you.

I also thank the archives intern and fellow, Jasmine Smith and Daniel DelViscio, who also worked tirelessly to help me research, draft text, and select photographs for the signs.  You should both be proud, and I hope you will have the opportunity to come see the final result.

Lastly, I have much appreciation for the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the funding that allowed the curation of this exhibit. [MH-00-13-0013-13]

No comments:

Post a Comment