Thursday, December 14, 2017

Annual Christmas Letter 2017

Dear Friends,

Can you believe another year is coming to an end?! I'm not sure I even remember celebrating July 4th ...or any part of August.  Where did it all go?   For the large part of the year, time passed quickly but quietly in the archives - which is good because my personal life was often messy.  Unlike previous years there were no major construction or grant projects and so 90% of my time was engaged in archival processing (Yeah! Board of Trustee records!) and reference requests (Hooray for the documentary project completed by 302 Stories Inc!).

My biggest excitement in 2017 was a seat at the table for the library director search committee. I count myself  privileged to have played a part in shaping the future of the William C. Jason Library.  It means a lot to me to know that the university administrators value my opinion and allowed me this platform. It's too early for any big announcements yet, but after hearing from several talented candidates, I am confident that the library department has a bright future.  I can't wait to see what improvements and innovations are in store for us under new leadership in a new year.

On a personal note, I'm now the proud sister of a DSU graduate! My brother Paul graduated from DSU's aviation program last May and I am so proud of his accomplishments.  The university seems a little lonelier without him occasionally stopping by my office, but he has important grown-up work to do for the airlines.

Lastly, I wish to thank individuals who have helped to make this a wonderful year for the archives department.  At the very top of the list are the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. who have been a tremendous help and encouragement to me! Of course I appreciate the exhibit they put together for the gallery, but beyond that I can't express how much their sage advice and kind words mean to me as a young professional. Similarly, thanks to Mike and Jeanne of 302 Stories Inc. for their friendship and business. It has been a true pleasure to work with you and see the archives materials used in new, creative ways. Thank you to all my library colleagues for standing by the archives and assisting me in growing the department! 

All in all, I hope that you, my patrons, have also had a wonderful year and wish you nothing but the best in 2018. Thank you for continuing to walk this journey with me. Much is still ahead and I can't wait to share it with you!

Merry Christmas,
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment