Monday, November 6, 2017

Listen to the 1977 Gospel Choir

The DSU archives is giving a HUGE shout-out to 302 Stories Inc. for converting a prized LP record to CD!

The James A. Prettyman collection is my go-to source when examining the university's material culture circa 1965 to 1980. Contained within it are college pennants, clothing, pins, various souvenirs and an LP record of the Gospel Choir from 1977.

From my first day at Delaware State University, this Gospel Choir LP frustrated me. The opportunity to hear voices from the past was always right in front of me and yet so far out of reach because of  technological and financial limitations. Aside from a VHS player, I do not have the ability to playback or convert any audiovisual media.

When the archive's 125th anniversary exhibit opened a year ago, I included the record in one of the display cases. I thought that, at the very least, it added color and intrigue, and I noted that visitors enjoyed seeing it. What I didn't expect was that one set of visitors in particular, 302 Stories Inc., a documentary film company, would be able to provide me with access to the audio.

Thanks to Jeanne and Mike who enthusiastically converted the audio, I can now play the music of Take Me There to my heart's content. Stop by the archives any time to listen to the 1977 Gospel Choir! Were you a member of the choir? Let me know! I'd love to hear your stories.




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad this is part of the archives

    ReplyDelete