Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Farewell from Leigh-Anne


My time here at DSU is done, and I am very sad to see it end. The work I was able to do was meaningful and exciting. I had access to items of historical significance that many people do not know existed, such as the course catalogs from 1899-1911 when the University was still called the State College for Colored Students. A lot of the material I processed showed the development of the University, as well as the changes in the departments and course offerings. I have to say one of my favorites was when I helped a researcher find material about student activities and influence that led to the addition of the Black Studies Program.

My confidence increased with the practice provided in the archives, which was the purpose of this post-graduate internship for me. Much of what I learned in school was under the direction of a teacher. However, nothing beats working in the field to learn how an activity can be the same but bring up a different set of questions each day. I was able to clarify my career goals. I not only learned that I can process archival records as quickly as I can catalog books (I interned in a corporate library and spent time in a public library while a MSLS student), I also learned that I enjoy spending time interacting with researchers and people from other University departments who want to learn more about what we have and do at the University Archives.

I wish the University were closer to my home. The two hour drive so early in the morning was very hard, but I never had a day where I woke up and wished I did not have to come in to work. The traffic was always minimal (it was, after all, the summer), the weather was just right, there appears to be no bad parking on campus, and the people are all really nice.

Speaking of the people, the employees at DSU are fantastic! They always had a smile for me. It felt good to be asked how I was doing, and to know the person asking really wanted to know. It did not take long before I was being included in conversations in the staff lunchroom and elsewhere in the library. It is my strongest hope that the people here in the William C. Jason Library remember me like I will them.


I am grateful for the opportunity to work at DSU, and be a part of building the University Archives. I look forward to watching the digital collection grow, and reading future blog posts to learn who else has come on board and where I might be able to meet up with them to compare notes about the collection material.

No comments:

Post a Comment